Apr 16, 2007

Inno Setup - Free setup maker or installer

Inno Setup is one of the best free solution I have found and have known for years now. I found this wonderful software in a CD which came along with a magazine. I was in school and was making my first software and needed to make a installer for the same. It was very hard to use any of the enterprise level professional solutions like install shield. I even tried few other such free setup makers before coming across Inno setup but they would show alert that the setup was made using an evaluation version. That was really annoying.



Then finally I used Inno setup and found it very easy to use. I was really surprised to see the level of simplicity. Not just it had a fabulous wizard that helped me step by step in making a setup, it also had a editor where I could edit the source code to make the setup of my first software look like more what I wanted it to be.



Inno setup is fully supported by all the versions of windows including vista that makes sure that you never face any compatibility issues.

Special care is taken to make sure that as this solution is made free even for commercial use, it can actually be used for commercial use. Few features to support this statement are:
  • Multilingual support (multiple languages supported)
  • Support for setup types (Full, minimal, custom)
  • Uninstaller (quite obvious I know, but its really important)
  • Password protected installation
Inno setup had also been a SIA winner for consecutively 3 years.



In a nutshell Inno setup is a free professional solution for individual and enterprise needs of software deployment that is recommended by me and quality approved by SIA.

Home Page | Features | Download | Donate

No comments: